Pinboard - Yay!
I signed up for “social bookmarking for introverts” site pinboard back when it cost only $3- it’s now $6, and it goes up by a tenth of a penny with every user signup – make of that what you will, math fans!
I suppose at the time I did not see much of a difference compared to delicious, the service that invented the genre, so I put the account aside. I revisited it recently, and I can certainly see its advantages. Amongst others:
- you can post via email, making it a lot easier to use on mobile browsers
- pinboard can slurp down links you post to Twitter, solving a minor epistemological problem of mine
- it can autopost things you favourite on Twitter
- it can distinguish betweeen links you have and haven’t read yet (i.e. has a “toread” category)
- you can sync it with Instapaper – it adds instapaper entries to your “toread” list
- it has a truly breathtaking paid archiving feature that will make a private copy of every single page you add. This is to guard against the inevitable dead links, but it’s like your own private wayback machine. Pretty damn cool.
That’s a pretty impressive array of features, and it’s under active development. I’m not sure if the same can really be said of delicious.