In A Moment of Glorious Retrospection
I just finished importing most of the archives of d/blog. It was my blog before this one. My personal publishing history goes like this:
- April 2001, start Bloggus Caesari
- July 2001, start d/blog, begin d/blog glory months
- Sept 2001, combination of 9/11 and full-time employment ends d/blog glory months, alienates readership, wrecks shit (not really)
- July 2004, move from Movable Type to Textpattern
- for a while, nothing happens. (At least that I have archives of… working on that)
- Feb 2007, start Angry Robot, as new personal blog; sankey.ca now just a portfolio site, and archives taken offline for reasons now not entirely clear (Human error? Shyness? Epistemological quandary?)
- July 2007: caught up in the enthusiasm of others, Angry Robot becomes video games blog
- Sept 2008: Angry Robot returns to its roots, grand commitment to excellence &c.
- Present: in powerful act of healing, d/blog archives added to Angry Robot.
- Future: robot stomps on enemies, kicks them into sun; A.I. remake symbolically returns shitty Spielberg film to Kubrick; 3D camera perfected, sold at massive profits; plonkism established as viable philosophical school; moment of imminent nostalgia reached; Maggo’s Secret Blog: The Restaurant opens to great acclaim; gristle-sack bird finally found, tranqued, tagged, tamed. Dreams become reality.
Until then, I’m certainly happy to have the archives back. It’s really more for personal symbolic reasons than an expectation that people will find them useful. I know there are tons of dead links and so forth, and the lack of an archive page makes navigation challenging. But this is where it starts, or this – in the backwards logic of weblogs, on page 126.
Jesus Christ, I’ve written a book.